Contact us via AccuRx, using one simple form, for all your medical and admin needs.

How to Register as a former armed service member

The Defence Medical Services (DMS) has its own GP services that look after serving personnel, mobilised reservists and some families. Once you leave the armed forces, your primary healthcare (GP, dentist, etc) reverts to the responsibility of your local NHS. This means, you’ll have to register with a local GP in your area. Make sure you let the GP practice know that you are a veteran as, depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to specialist care or support. All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition as long as it’s related to your service and is clinically necessary, regardless of whether or not you receive a war pension.
When you leave the armed forces you should be given a summary of your medical records and you should pass those on to your new GP when you register. The practice will also be advised of prior registration with Defence Medical Services and with a summary of your in-service care.